Adopt Don’t Shop! Mobile Adoption Unit Heads to Fred Martin Superstore
The Humane Society of Summit County will be coming to Fred Martin Superstore with their mobile adoption unit Saturday July 20th, 2019 from 1:00 pm-3:00 pm.
Each year, 2.7 million adoptable dogs and cats are euthanized in the United States, simply because too many pets come into shelters and too few people consider adoption when looking for a pet.
Here are 5 reasons to adopt instead of shop:
- Because you’ll get a great animal. Animal shelters and rescue groups are brimming with happy, healthy pets just waiting for someone to take them home. Most shelter pets wound up there because of a human problem like a move or a divorce, not because the animals did anything wrong. Many are already house-trained and used to living with families.
- Because it’ll cost you less. Usually when you adopt a pet, the cost of spay/neuter, first vaccinations (and sometimes even microchipping!) is included in the adoption price, which can save you some of the up front costs of adding a new member to your family. Depending on the animal, you may also save on housebreaking and training expenses.
- Because it’s one way to fight puppy mills. If you buy a dog from a pet store, online seller or flea market, you’re almost certainly getting a dog from a puppy mill. Puppy mills are factory-style breeding facilities that put profit above the welfare of dogs. Animals from puppy mills are housed in shockingly poor conditions with improper medical care, and are often very sick and behaviorally troubled as a result. Puppy mills will continue to operate until people stop supporting them. By adopting a pet, you can be certain you aren’t giving them a dime.
- Because all pets are good for your health, but adoptees offer an extra boost. Not only do animals give you unconditional love, but they have been shown to be psychologically, emotionally and physically beneficial to their companions. Caring for a pet can provide a sense of purpose and fulfillment and lessen feelings of loneliness. And when you adopt, you can also feel proud about helping an animal in need!
- Because adoption helps more than just one animal. Overburdened shelters take in millions of stray, abused and lost animals every year, and by adopting an animal, you’re making room for others. Not only are you giving more animals a second chance, but the cost of your adoption goes directly towards helping those shelters better care for the animals they take in!
Fred Martin Auto Group does our part by donating all the food used at The Humane Society of Summit County, and we have for over 20 years!Adopt a pet and you will change a homeless animal’s whole world-and get a new best friend!